Consume my heart away; sick with desire
And fastened to a dying animal
It knows not what it is; and gather me
Into an artifice of eternity.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

FOLAMH AR FAD


~For JH~

I didn’t even try to drown –
the hail that was busy beating
hail back into water on the water
hammered the stars into diamond tears 

I never tread the mossy floor
where berries bled – lichen-aged
and musk-licked fronds like waxed shins
shone their dappled dread

Sirens awoke and roped anchors lifted
creels of hauled bones were raised
off the bed and flung ashore
amid a tangle of kelp and shells 

we fled the piebald hills – pucks bucked
at tares and All Souls burned
but only empty pyres lit up the stars
we didn’t even try to evade 

gunshots in the glen again – Advent
on a Famine Road where rooks congregate
their carrion lungs and consumptive caws
rising and returning – as the tides – 

I didn’t even try to grieve – loss
lassoed what could have been
put halters round what might have been –
and I should have drowned between  

No comments: