Consume my heart away; sick with desire
And fastened to a dying animal
It knows not what it is; and gather me
Into an artifice of eternity.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

DOLOR


~For JH~

Shadows of fire flutter into the spaces
You left behind, flames bloom and wilt there,
And the vines pipe silence back to earth –

I am born again prematurely, a will-o’-the-wisp
Appearing and disappearing, a firefly
Flashing his fecundity across the night.

White moths hover above the headstone
Where my name is etched. I watch myself
Watching the years that are buried there –

An aborted fetus flung into an after-birth
of tears, a shrunken womb and dead placenta,
A torn cord, and the teeth that tore it,

Now knots untie and shadows bleed out
Across the years, I hear orphaned conversations
And indigent laughter, sirens and screams

Amid a cacophony of mockery and jeers –
I fold back into my infant, colic self,
And my tongue licks at the motherless air.

No comments: