Consume my heart away; sick with desire
And fastened to a dying animal
It knows not what it is; and gather me
Into an artifice of eternity.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

ECLIPSE


~For J.H.~


I was your prey once more
and you hunted me down
the night all the way
to the end of remembering –


A Harpy eagle perched
like the risen Christ
above my bed, wings akimbo,
the tomb of love deserted,


and in the half-light, lost
in amongst the shades,
it nosed out my fear,
and hatched you there.


I cannot escape your wiles
or dread hold – always
I board the same train
that takes me back here


to this empty house with echoes
in the halls, beds unmade,
rooms full of shadows
and tear stains on the floor.


Shut the eyes on all that now –
The dream’s enough by far
to fill the space between
awaking and the wound’s eclipse.

No comments: