Consume my heart away; sick with desire
And fastened to a dying animal
It knows not what it is; and gather me
Into an artifice of eternity.

Friday, December 18, 2015

HOPE


~For JH~

I never was seen and yet I never felt
my absence enough to pity its passing –
It went along until I had vanished
as one pulse overtakes another,
unnoticed, unremarked, and unremarkable.

Some regard what never was
as a missed opportunity, but not I –
seventy or eighty or so spins (if lucky)
around the sun and hemmed at each end
by nothingness is not the stuff of regret:

I’ve taken that fodder from other stores
that left their mark – no need to mention what –
words echo silence for if an unheard word
is spoken is that not silence itself
refusing to be and yet still being?

A man like a tree ghosts his own absence,
his fruit falls on fallow ground,
his branches lose their leaves,
and yet he lives on from season to season,
thriving into silence, anonymity, presence.

No comments: