Consume my heart away; sick with desire
And fastened to a dying animal
It knows not what it is; and gather me
Into an artifice of eternity.

Friday, September 26, 2014

Au Revoir, Dear Heart


At 8:00 am on September 16th, my dad took his final breath. He was surrounded by his wife of 60 years, his 12 children, and 2 of his 21 grandchildren. He died peacefully after a prolonged illness.

It is very hard to let go of a man who was my hero and my savior. My father knew how to provide for and protect his family. He was our champ and we'll miss him dearly, but as my sister said in her eulogy -- 'we will often glimpse him again in the faces of our children and grandchildren, and there he will live into perpetuity'.

The latest edition of Agenda Poetry, entitled 'Scentings', has a poem of mine dedicated to my father:



Go gently into that good night, dear father, and sleep with the angels.

 

4 comments:

Mnemosyne said...

My condolences John. Your father was truly loved
and if there is a library in paradise, I’m sure there is
a reserved table there waiting for him.
Be well,
Florence

Penal-Colony said...

Truly, Florence,

I really hope so.

Thank You.

John

susan t. landry said...

so sorry, john, for your loss, for your family's loss.

Penal-Colony said...

Thank You, Susan,